Thursday, May 2, 2013

Fit a New Radio and a New Aerial


So I go a new radio, only cost me €70 including postage from Pixmania,  I didn't want a lit up crazy looking thing, but something that had a proper connection for my Ipod/Iphone.

Like a kid in a sweet shop, I dived in and started to fit the radio, when I discovered a few annoying things.  Serves me right, it is a Land Rover after all.

 
Here is the original radio in the consol.  At the bottom of the radio there is are two holes with screws with star like heads.  I discovered that these heads were striped.  So I had to take out the entire consol to take the radio out.


 I took these two photos to remind me how to put it back together.
 
Radio and consol out - with plugs handing out.  I had to take off the top of the Dash to take out the consol, which was fine as you can do it in 3 minutes!

Took old radio out and the housing it was in.  The new radio was slightly wider, so I had to pear back some of the housing on the inside - but out on front it still looks fine!

Used the metal casing to wedge the new radio into the plastic housing, it works fine.

New Radio in the plastic housing

New Radio back in consol

Here's where I started getting annoyed.  I amanaged to fit the radio perfectly, but the connections were not going to fit.  The above connection for my speakers etc was a DIN, and the new radio had an ISO connection (Sigh!) So I know I could cut it and jimmy fix it together, but I thought I do some research first!

The next thing was the aerial connection - I needed to get a converter jack for the original Aerial plug and the socket of the new radio.

So I went forum hunting and Haynes manual reading.  I discovered I needed a DIN to ISO cable/adapter.  Found one on a audio car shop website which was going to cost me £35, nearly the price of the radio (eh no!!). So went to good old trusty Ebay with the part number and got one delivered for less than €20.

 Looked for a converter for the original aerial and it was going to cost me €4, then saw this aerial and correct jack for €8 in Maplins, as my original aerial was broken also - I thought feck it, I'll get this rubber one.

Radio fitted back with DIN to ISO adapter - tested and worked, next Aerial!

Old aerial - although I liked it, it was bent/snapped off at the top.  So had to go.

Unhitched the aerual from the clip under the panel and then unscrewed it.

New aerial partly taken apart so the wire would fit through the hole behind the engine.

Still had the original aerial wire through the car, and thought I'd join both and pull though.  Worked like a charm.  Although some forums said they'd add an extra jack in the engine bay, so in future one could just plug and play - makes sens but I wanted my radio now and it will be a few more years before I change it!

Fixed up the coaxe cable of the new aerial after I took the tape off it.

All plugged in and ready to go

Works like a charm!!  I fogot to take a photo with my Iphone in it, will add that later!

Here we go with the new aerial!

I would like to get rid of the aerial altogether on the front!  Then I'd add a long spring like aerial on the back, mounted to a swing away wheel carrier, something that is military looking and high enough to go over the top of the roof.


No comments:

Post a Comment